Monday, March 24, 2014

SO Much Going On!!

So we last spoke, if you will, on Saturday the 15th. I had run a race with my co-workers and was getting ready to start partying. The party was fun. I got away for a little bit with Liam and Candy, which was great getting to know them. I didn't spend too much time with Tony, which ultimately was probably better for me, but it was very nice to see him. And ultimately, after waking up super early on no sleep and starting drinking at 12pm after not having drank in almost a month... I managed to stay up till about 10:30 then I cozied up into bed, which I am thankful for. I missed out on fights and a couple other random dramatic things that I am sure I wanted nothing to do with.

Sunday I got up nice and early and cleaned up for Bill. He put on such a great party he shouldn't have had to clean up to. Bill, Tony and I chatted for a little bit. I was supposed to go to another St. Paddy's party, but with the chaos of the next two weeks I stayed home and got A LOT of Taft work done, which I could not have been more thankful for. Sunday at work was actually ok, despite having not wanted to go in, in the first place.

Having to actually work in the office is never fun, but I dressed up for St. Paddys and it was actually pretty quiet, which I was entirely thankful for. I was able to take a little bit of a nap and eat a delicious meal (added back in steak and that was lovely... only very mild side effects). Then I headed off to Jake's for the celebrations. It was low key and more fun than I could have guessed. A bunch of friends from the club showed up, made some new friends, learned a new card game, and all in all had a blast. I am so happy I did not blow it off.

Tuesday was the day to put in my two weeks at the day job, which I was very happy about. My boss did her best to make me feel bad about it, but I know it was the right decision... which reminds me I promised a run down of the two jobs and what I chose...

Job 1: Operations Assistant with a Ticket Brokerage firm -- company has been around for about 6 years. 2 person company (one potentially leaving in the semi-near future), great vision and dream for where they want it to go and where one could go with it. Lots of responsibility and challenges. Opportunity to really learn lots of new things, including how to run a business -- they are going away for 5 weeks during the summer and need someone they can trust. Get to focus on music, sports, theater, etc and learn as much about each as possible. Good base pay with some bonus potential, M-F 7:30-4:30, hour lunch, about 20-30 min commute, health benefits and vacation after 60 days, ticket perks. Very desk oriented, potential down the road to do more marketing, event type stuff and help grow the business.

Job 2: Corporate Sales with a Software Programming company focusing in automation amongst other things. Company has been around about 5 years, very established, growing and has been recognized in major tech media. 3 people, looking for a developer, this position created new. Lots of responsibility to build current client relationships, create new client relationships, and general networking, joint ventures, etc. Challenge to learn tech speak, I would want to take some programming courses to be well versed and able to speak intelligently with potential customers and clients. Flexible schedule, time off, good base pay with commission scale in place (able to be altered as more information is gathered), no office, cold calling and office visits, travel to Denver and Boulder, health benefits. Realistic view for company growth and path with opportunity to take over all/most marketing down the line.

I ended up taking job #2 for a variety of reasons and I am pretty comfortable in my choice. Ultimately, I am much more likely to be able to quit both part time jobs with the second position verses the first. Of course, that is not something that can happen immediately, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.With all the job stuff so many questions of should I move or stay or all sorts of things came up. I was able to sign a lease with my current apartment until Aug 1. I need to find a roommate to be able to stay here and afford it. I figure that is a good time because by then I should be able to quit at least the club and then move somewhere half way between Denver and Boston to make my back and forth commuting a little easier.

Soo many great things happening. On top of jobs and housing Travis is here to visit!! I will give you that run down next time. On Friday night I won the area Table Topics Speech Contest and will be heading to the district contest on April 12. I was a bit surprised and even more so, when I found out the person before me gave a VERY similar answer to my response. I can proudly say I earned my 3rd trophy just this year! So now I get to go and speak in front of even more people and hopefully wow them with my speaking abilities and my confidence in myself. That win definitely made up for my blah speech in club on Thursday night.

Well know I am completely exhausted! Stay tuned for updates on my time with Travis, roommate search, and some of the last days of working at Legacy... oo and 4 nights in a row of working at the club, and finally a potentially date and not from OK Cupid -- I totally gave up on that crap!

Till next time, thanks for reading!

No comments: