Friday, April 26, 2013

Full Plate

My last entry gave a glimpse into the variety and chaos I have invited into my life lately. But I figured I would take a moment to elaborate for you all. Thinking about it all and trying to express the multitude of things I have going on, in it of itself, feels overwhelming. However, somehow in day to day life, I have managed to make it work, without driving myself completely insane! Something to be proud of for sure!

The question of the evening... Where to start??

Prior to leaving CT I was feeling the need to challenge myself, questioning the idea of going back to school - and whether or not I could handle it or would like it, and just generally yearning for more out of life. So I signed up for a FREE online course! Something simple, which would not take up too much of my time to start, and that would still be interesting. I found a Ancient Greece course, which stated it would only take 4-6 hours a week. I could definitely handle that... And for the most part I am. I wish I was a little bit more involved and doing more of the readings, but by the time I finish this entry you will be astonished I am even sticking with it! Ha, and I start ANOTHER class next week! A more in depth, more relate-able course on Operations Management which requires more time... and YES they overlap for at least a week!! UGH what did I do to myself! I will get through and get credit for them because that is who I am. Also, Jon (my brother-in-law) and I are supposed to be learning (relearning for him) German. He gave me the basics for getting is going, but apparently I am partially computer illiterate and cannot figure it out... So my intentions are to be able to have that set up and start actually learning by the second week of May (I am hoping I will have a schedule more down pat by then to fit it in lol)

On the job front I started a full-time position here in Boulder at the end of March (it was a month yesterday). Its a typical 40 hour work week... well technically a little less because my boss is freaking awesome! I get a hour lunch break, which I did not think I was going to enjoy at first, but I have come to appreciate it. I can get work done for Taft, catch up on "school work", fill it up with Game of Thrones -- I has some tv series catching up to do and now I am doing the same with the books, or this week going back to my temporary home to let the pup out and make lunch. So full time job, part-time Taft, which because it is so hectic I am not doing as much as I would like... and then I just agreed to cocktail serve at the Club in Boulder 3-4 nights a week. OO yes the Jess you all know and love and wish you got to see more often is back in full swing! Look out 60-70 hour work weeks you do NOT know who you are messing with! I GOT THIS!

While I absolutely enjoy the people I am working with at the day job... unfortunately it is just not lucrative enough to entertain staying there for a long time. Additionally, one of the reasons for this adventure was to get away from having to work 60-70 hours a week to make ends meat. It might be different if my job was challenging and was teaching me something, but more often than not I am bored or completely goofing off with the rest of the team. Many people might or will think I am crazy for complaining about that, but I enjoy working, I LOVE a challenge. By no means am I one to take the easy route through life, and that is exactly what I feel like I am doing at the moment. So I look for new careers. And even more importantly, I am working on trying to work my way into my dream company to learn, grow, and become a part of something bigger with them. I am in the process of starting a new blog centered around my experience with them and my desire for wanting to work with them. I made up a card relating surviving the Zombie Apocalypse to surviving in the work place and plan to get that to them by Monday. They are moving into their new facility next month (major growth of the last couple years and it is continuing into the future) and I figure while they are in the process of growth it is the best time to make myself a valid candidate for hire! So wish me luck, send me feedback and ideas, and over all keep a positive thought for me please!

As if I wasn't busy enough I decided that I needed to start getting involved so I could meet people and start creating a life here in Boulder. So I decided to volunteer and start joining groups. The first volunteering I got involved with was the Humane Society. I have my second event with them tomorrow and then on the 5th I can finally start playing with the puppies! I am sooooo excited! Mondays are going to be the highlight of my week for sure! Tomorrow they are running this Alice in Wonderland related auction event and my co-workers helped to make me an Ace of Spade (the cards painting the roses) so I can dress up! I am ecstatic that they took this so seriously; I cannot wait to see my costume. And then on Thursdays, I just joined Toastmasters. I figured with what I do it never hurts to learn how to speak better in front of people. It will probably help when I go to open my own business as some point. So hopefully, as long as I can get Thursday nights off from the club I plan on joining that and seeing what happens from there.

In other life related things: I have been trying to be healthier in so many respects. I am trying to get to the gym regularly and if I am not going in the morning I am trying to do at least ten to fifteen minutes of stretching (it is insane how quickly you can lose your flexibility!!). I have somehow managed to seriously increase my dental hygiene (sadly this hasn't been my most paid attention to area) including regular flossing and steps toward home whitening. And not to mention this lovely no gluten, no -soy dietary change that I have initiated since being here on suggestion of the doctors. I honestly do not feel any better... if anything I feel like certain things are worse... like my acid reflux and I have been at least 75% better about taking my meds not only regularly but actually properly too. -- That is an entirely differently story. So medical benefits kick in on May first... and although the first $2500
 has to come out of my pocket... I plan on setting up a few appointments just to set a basis and talk with someone about where I am at and where to go from here.

I have made a promise to myself to learn more about both of the major faiths in my life. My Christian side (not sure I have what it takes to really embrace Catholicism at this point) and Wicca. I am determined to learn more about the Sabbaths, traditions, and practices of my Wiccan background. While also embracing some of the ideals and practices of the Christian world. I have checked out one church so far and have others in mind for the next couple weeks. I am trying to find an interesting Unitarian Church, which seem to be more welcoming of all religions... but the closest one seems too boring to even check out, but we shall see.

And, I guess, finally, I am trying to figure out the next steps and find my own space. Jess is not sure what their plan is, and neither of us want me to get stuck in limbo so I have been doing some serious apartment searching over the last week and a half... and by apartment I mean room. Ideally, I have been looking for summer sublets so that I can have time to figure out where I want to be, how much I can afford, etc. I have seen about 7 places so far and have 2 more to see. So far only one really stands out and that was one of the ones I saw today. The one I have scheduled to see on Sunday is also very appealing, except they want a 6 month lease. So we shall have to see what happens. I will think it all over more tomorrow. Mostly I am being optimistic about getting hired with The Starr Conspiracy and would hate to have to break a lease. So here is to fingers crossed all around!

So yes... I am sure at least a couple of your heads are spun around right now just from reading this. And, honestly, reading this it makes me go wow! However, I know that I have this! I am so positive about this adventure. It was the absolute right thing to do and its going to lead to amazing things. Mostly because I am determined for it to do so. I hope everyone who reads this will say a prayer, make a wish, plant a seed, or whatever it is that you do for good luck to another on me getting this position with The Starr Conspiracy because since reading about them in December I have had no doubt that I am supposed to have a connection with this company and I greatly look forward to making that come to succession.

So go have a drink, cup of tea, smoke, mediation time, or whatever it is that calms you down. Keep a positive light about you for yourself and all those around you. And know that I wish you the best of the best in all that you do and greatly appreciate you taking the time to get wrapped up in my life, such a tiny piece of the world and universe that surrounds you. Blessed Be.

*Star*

No comments: