Saturday, February 4, 2012

Paths Ahead

OK, so I am at a point in my career where I am looking for a change. Unfortunately, there are some circumstances at my current account that I just am not happy with, nor do I want to have to succumb myself to this negativity. I am a pretty happy person and found myself really becoming bitter, angry and overall grouchy. I truly hate that this is happening!

But the hard part is my job is at least talking about getting me into a marketing position, which is something I really want and think I will succeed at. However, this change has been "in effect" for at least two weeks and the amount of marketing I have gotten done is probably less than I was doing before. And for the rest of the semester (at the minimum) if it ever actually transforms I am still supposed to be responsible for things in the cafe. Basically my job responsiblities have doubled, but my pay and status have not really changed.

So do I stick around till next school year for a brand new cafe, hopefully a full marketing manager/director position, but still dealing with all of the incredible amounts of negativity that surrounds me when I am there.

Now I am at the point with this company that I can look into transfer to different accounts or sectors... but there are things in general about the company that I personally do not like... maybe even disagree with. But are these things important enough to me that I would walk away from a good company with a lot of growth opportunities. But in order to be in an area I find appealing I would have to stay in operations and walk away from the marketing opportunity sitting in my lap.

And then there is the question to just move on altogether. But I am worried that my experience is not focused enough in the marketing world to find something that will allow me to move forward, versus backward in my career path. I feel like there are so many things I still need and want to learn.

This desire to learn.. go back to school... is one of the few side reasons that make me want to stay with the company I am with now, because they will give me money each year toward school... and i just have to give them a year of service after I complete the course. So I could have my Masters by sticking with the company for another couple years... Also, I have to worry about health benefits, because of my previous health conditions I can NOT let my lapse at all. Obviously, there is a grace period before you can get insurance with a new company... and I am not sure of all the rules with Cobra health benefits when you leave a company... I guess its something to look into.

And then there is the question of if I leave, what kind of jobs do I look for. What is my niche? What in the marketing area am I really great at? Is there another company that just needs an all around marketing manager, that handles events, promotions, social media, etc.

I guess those would be my three main areas of focus. Hoping/Providing the company doesn't want online experience, HTML background, and things of those likes, which I keep seeing a lot for in my preliminary searches.

Plus, you have to think that as a marketing person, what can I do, that is out of the ordinary, that will make me stick out, make me be the one they choose. These days a typical resume does not get you very far. And how else do you show your personality true and true through one of two pieces of paper... Even better how do you show your quirkiness without coming off like a 5 year old. Because honestly I think one of my best qualities is that I can have fun doing just about anything and can lighten a situation because I am silly. But where is there room for that in the business world? Where will I fit in?!

No comments: